The cost of installing a new air conditioner varies widely. In this post, we will take a look at some of the several considerations that will help narrow your search.
Not All AC Systems Are Created Equal
Firstly, air conditioners are not the same as cars. Cars are made similar and clients can pick one depending on price and the service from the dealership. But every home is unique and different, and each needs an AC system designed to fit your home’s ductwork perfectly. The AC system needs to be correctly sized, designed and installed. This means purchasing an AC unit is like hiring a mechanic to build the car in your driveway after you have shipped in all the parts.
The price in this scenario varies based on the technician you hire, and the quality of the parts used.
Choosing the Right Contractor for the Job
Selecting a contractor to do the job is one of the most important decisions you will make. Here are factors that you should take into consideration as you pick out a contractor:
- What is the contractors’ experience? Do they have regular training in the installation of AC systems?
- Are the tools used by the contractor the right ones for the job? E.g. digital manifolds.
- Do they carry out a Manual J Heat Load to size your system properly?
- Do they analyze your ductwork?
- Is the handover process from sales to installation smooth? No one wants to have long conversations with sales persons about the specifics then have an installer who has no idea of what was discussed.
- Is their start-up process to optimize and fine-tune your system up to par?
- Does the service company carry out drug tests and background checks of the installers?
- Do they hold proper licenses and sufficient insurance?
- Does the company’s website have a lot of reviews? And what are people saying?
Once you have settled on a contractor here are some of the factors that will affect the price of installation:
- Size of the Unit – It is advisable to use the size dictated by the Manual J so that the system fits in properly to your home.
- Model of the Unit – Your contractor should help you by giving the benefits, differences and price of different models to help you decide.
- Make of Unit – Manufactures have lines ranging from a base, mid-range and deluxe so pricing might vary.
- Copper Lineset Piping – These are pipes connect the outdoor to the indoor unit. They are replaced to prevent contamination.
There are a lot of factors to consider when it comes to the pricing of air conditioners. Select a trusted contractor and ask for a free estimate and full analysis of your system.